Project Development Objective
The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to
enhance food and nutritional security of targeted communities in selected
locations of Nepal.
- To enhance the food security of vulnerable groups and enlarging the livelihoods base for farm families,
- To reduce food and health risks among vulnerable groups and improve income earning and employment opportunities for the poor households in targeted communities,
- To contribute to enhancing nutrition security in project areas through promotion of diversified diets, increased nutrient intakes and improved feeding and caring practices for pregnant and nursing women, and children up to 2 years of age.
Expected Outputs from the Project
- 29 crop and livestock development technologies will have been released for project area farmers.
- Seed replacement rate of selected crop will have been reached to 16% in project area.
- Productivity of targeted crop and livestock in project area will have been increased by 30% and 75% respectively.
- Number of pregnant and/or nursing mothers and children (6-24 months) with improve dietary intake will have been increased by 15% and 30% respectively.
- 45,000 households with Pregnant and Nursing Mothers will have been received project-supported Behaviour Change Communication (BCC).
- 54,000 children will have been received appropriate Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices.
Project Area and Beneficiaries
|Agriculture and Food Security Project (AFSP) Nepal - Project Location|
Component One - Technology Development and Adaptation
Component Two - Technology Dissemination and Adoption
Support for crop production includes disseminating improved varieties and practices, on-farm water management support and farm level post harvest value addition. Similarly, support for livestock production comprises rural poultry promotion, meat and dairy goat development and dairy cattle/buffalo development depending upon feasibility and farmers preferences.