Introduction to Dukan Diet
By Prihta Mala
The consumption of high fiber dietary can reduce the risks for stroke, diabetes type 2, heart problems, as well as can increase the skin’s health, and maintain or lose weight. Eating fiber can help you to feel full sooner because fiber stays in the stomach longer than other foods. Fibers such as fruits and vegetables are low in calories, so it helps you to lose weight. Furthermore, consuming high fiber can move fat through your digestive system faster resulting in less fat is absorbed. Eating plenty of fiber foods give more energy for working or exercising. It is suggested to consume minimum 25 grams of fiber every day for women aged 18-50 years old while for women over 50 years old need at least 21 grams daily. The source of high fiber foods are whole grains, wheat cereals, barley, flax seed, chia seed, quinoa, oatmeal, beans, nuts, vegetables, for examples, carrots, celery, tomatoes, also, fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries (see Figure 1.), blackberries, apples, citrus, grapefruits, pumello and pears. It is recommended that starting your day with plenty of fiber, whole-grain cereal with adding wheat bran, as well as, dried or fresh fruits to the morning-cereal. Also, you can change white rice, bread, and pasta with brown rice and whole grain foods or have a habit of snacking on fruit and vegetables, such as the right protein bar for diet has maximum 9 g of fiber. Moreover, you can improve fiber consumption by adding nuts, seeds, kidney beans, peas, or black beans in to the salads, or having high intake of barley, peas, lentils, or brown rice to soups and stews. There are more recommendations on healthy diets such as GNC, Ideal-Shape, Medifast, Ayurvedha, or Dukan Diet for well-balanced diet and quality dietary supplements, healthy meal plans, smoothies, shakes, and other online healthy foods.
In addition to the dieting tips, an example is the Dukan diet designed by the French Dr. Pierre Dukan. The protein-based diet is a weight loss and nutritious plan translated in 14 languages or in 32 countries. Some of the dieting tips basically consist of losing the weight and keeping it forever, as follows.
1. Set the commitment or willingness power that should be trained mentally such as having regular workouts at least 3 times a week for 3 weeks.
2. Have a realistic objective or motivation, such as losing 5 lbs or more in 3 weeks.
3. Give a reward for yourself with some clothing or running shoes or reading books for the whole week.
4. Prevent “dangerous” situations such as party places or big restaurants that connected to consume non-dietary foods.
5. Set experiments to eat diverse foods when dieting and rotating the exercise, try cooking new recipes and jogging different routes or using new gym equipment.
6. Keep tracking the (slow/immediate) progress by starting dieting plans or losing weight daily.
7. Have a motivated exercise by having it regularly such as workout results on the scale in 3-4 days.
8. Have a commitment diet by not eating forbidden foods, such as fat-friendly snacks or high in fat or rich in carbohydrate foods.
9. Try to reduce your alcohol consumption with minimal frequency because alcoholic and high in sugar drinks can ruin the diet. Then, if you drink them, you tend to eat more food or you will be weaker and even tempt to eat junk food.
10. Find a support system by engaging with your families, friends, colleagues, and online communities to not give up on your diets, so they can be proud of your achievements on exercising and share your happiness to keep your motivation on the diets (such as trying to cook the new recipes from Dukan Diet at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/lifestyle/lifestyle-galleries/35238/10-dukan-diet-recipes.html).
Figure 1. Fresh Raspberries and Blueberries from British Columbia, Canada (http://nutritionexplorations.org)